Trump Ends Harris's Extended Secret Service Protection

Trump Ends Harris’s Extended Secret Service Protection

by

in

President Donald Trump has ordered the Secret Service to discontinue any security procedures beyond what is required by law for former Vice President Kamala D. Harris, with the change taking effect on September 1, 2025. The directive follows a letter describing the move as a memorandum for the Secretary of Homeland Security and comes after Harris’s post-office protection had been extended for an additional year by a directive signed during the final days of the Biden administration.

Under federal rules, former vice presidents are entitled to Secret Service protection for six months after leaving office. Harris’s six-month period ended on July 21, but reports indicate that Biden had extended her protection for an extra year. The new order cancels that extension.

The memo states: “You are hereby authorized to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorized by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective September 1, 2025: Former Vice President Kamala D. Harris.” The Secret Service did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Kirsten Allen, a senior adviser to Harris, said Harris remains grateful for the Secret Service’s professionalism and commitment to safety. The move has drawn attention from California officials: Gavin Newsom, the governor, was briefed late Thursday, though his office did not comment on possible changes to security arrangements for Harris, who resides in California. Newsom’s spokesperson criticized the decision, saying that public safety should not be subject to political actions. The Los Angeles mayor, Karen Bass, has been in touch with Newsom’s office and suggested that local security arrangements could be explored, noting Harris’s ties to Los Angeles.

Bass described the revocation as “another act of revenge” tied to political retaliation, and she said she would work with the governor to ensure Harris’s safety while in Los Angeles.

Harris is preparing for a national book tour to promote her memoir, 107 Days, which is scheduled for release on September 23. The timing has led to questions about how security will be managed during appearances nationwide.

What this could mean next
– Local and state authorities may assume greater responsibility for protecting Harris at public appearances in California, with possible arrangements in other states depending on travel.
– The move highlights the ongoing tensions surrounding security for high-profile political figures and how protection policies can shift with changes in administration.
– Harris’s team has emphasized gratitude toward the Secret Service, while critics point to the political optics of reducing protection for a leading national figure amid a busy public schedule.

Summary
Trump’s directive ends an extended protection period for Harris that had been put in place at the end of the Biden administration. With Harris heading into a national book tour, the case will test how security is coordinated across federal, state, and local authorities as public appearances resume in the coming months. The policy change also adds another chapter to the broader discussion about security considerations for former officials and how political motivations may intersect with safety decisions.

Commentary
This development underscores the complexity of safeguarding high-profile figures after leaving office and the potential for rapid shifts in policy with changing administrations. It will be important to monitor how California and other jurisdictions coordinate with federal agencies to ensure Harris’s security during public engagements, especially given her prominence in national politics and the upcoming book tour.

If you’d like, I can add a brief explainer about how Secret Service protection typically works for former officials, and lay out a timeline of dates and statements for quick reader reference.

Popular Categories


Search the website