New CCTV Footage Sparks Fresh Lead in Tom Phillips Case

New CCTV Footage Sparks Fresh Lead in Tom Phillips Case

by

in

CCTV Footage Believed to Show Fugitive Tom Phillips With One of His Children in Piopio Break-In

New video footage released by police is believed to show New Zealand fugitive Tom Phillips with one of his children during a suspected break-in at a Piopio convenience store. Detective Senior Sergeant Andy Saunders told reporters on Friday that investigators think the two figures in the clip are Phillips and one of his three children, who have been missing for almost four years. It is the first confirmed sighting of Phillips in about a year.

The footage, recorded in the early hours of Wednesday at Piopio Superette in the North Island, shows a masked man and a child examining the store’s windows before sparks appear to fly as they use a power tool to cut their way in. They load groceries onto a quad bike and depart, remaining at the scene for about 13 minutes. Saunders said the pair are believed to be the fugitive and his child, and authorities are appealing for information from anyone who may have seen the quad bike travelling or parked between Piopio and Marokopa in the early hours of Wednesday.

Police indicated that Phillips and one of his children are believed to have attempted a similar theft at the same store in November 2023 but were unsuccessful. Phillips disappeared with his children—who are now 12, 10 and nine—from their Marokopa family farm in December 2021. He does not have legal custody of the children, and investigators believe the family has been living in the Waikato’s King Country bush, with allegations of outside help to obtain supplies and avoid discovery.

Phillips’ alleged criminal history includes a May 2023 link to a robbery at an ANZ bank in Te Kūiti, where two armed offenders demanded cash before fleeing on a motorbike. A warrant for Phillips’ arrest was issued, and he faces multiple charges, including aggravated robbery, aggravated wounding, and unlawful possession of a firearm.

The most recent sighting prior to this week occurred in October 2024, when pig hunters filmed a man followed by three children in camouflage clothing carrying large backpacks in remote Marokopa farmland. That sighting prompted a large land-and-air search, which was eventually called off after three days.

Phillips’ family has repeatedly urged him to come forward. His sister issued a new appeal earlier this month, reiterating that the family remains willing to help him, even after attempts to contact him had gone unanswered. The children’s mother previously told the New Zealand Herald she was “relieved” to learn they were still alive in 2024. Police have stressed that their focus remains squarely on the welfare of the children, who have been away from home for four years.

An $80,000 reward for information on the family’s whereabouts was announced in June 2024 but has since expired.

What readers should know
– The new footage is a potential lead in the ongoing hunt for Phillips and the children.
– Authorities emphasize the safety and well-being of the children as the top priority.
– Anyone who saw the quad bike in the Piopio to Marokopa corridor or who has information about the incident is urged to contact police.

Summary
Police released CCTV they say may identify Tom Phillips with one of his children during a 13-minute break-in at Piopio Superette. The case ties into a broader history of flight and alleged criminal activity, with past sightings and a now-expired reward highlighting a long, complex pursuit focused on safeguarding the three children.

Commentary
This development underscores how investigators rely on public assistance and surveillance footage to track fugitives who have been on the run for years. While the footage offers a potential identification, authorities will need corroborating evidence to establish who is in the video and what, if any, charges should follow. The welfare of the three children remains the central concern, a reminder of the broader human dimension behind long-running cases.

Positive note
There is renewed public attention on the case, and authorities’ persistence may eventually lead to a safe resolution for the children and a clearer path toward family reunification under appropriate legal circumstances. Community awareness and vigilant reporting could play a critical role in bringing this chapter to a close with safeguarding and respect for the family’s rights and well-being.

Popular Categories


Search the website